Have you ever wondered why people talk about the benefits of drinking water?
Better yet, how drinking water first thing in the morning improves your overall wellbeing?
Well, in doing some research we discovered that there were lots of benefits to drinking water in the morning and many indications that showed how this can positively affect your mental wellbeing. So here's 5 reasons to gulp down that glass of H2o in the am!
Boost your Metabolism
- Makes you feel full, which helps to stop overeating.
- Boosts your metabolic rate so that you can burn calories faster, therefore losing weight.
- Even mild dehydration can cause your metabolism to slow down.
- Studies have shown that adults who drank between eight or more glasses in the morning and throughout the day, burned more calories than those that drank four. (Zelman, K. 2019).
Increase Energy Levels
- Fact: water increases the oxygen we receive to the brain. So drinking water in the morning allows for greater energy levels and higher alertness.
- Switching to water instead of coffee/tea in the AM will also help prevent reflux.
Drinking water can Ease Pain and Muscle/Joint Aches
- Common fact, water is a go-to for headaches. Hydration helps with cognitive function so when you're dehydrated headaches can occur. Water reduces this pain.
- Aids in the lubrication and cushioning of joints (Baillie, L. 2021).
- Cold baths after exercise also relieve muscle tension and pain.
- Prevents premature ageing by boosting skin elasticity.
- Reduces puffiness and acne.
- Water increased blood flow which in turn evens out your skin tone (Khona, M. 2020).
Flush out Toxins
- Helps flush out harmful toxins that may stay in your body. Just think, every time you urinate or sweat your body is pushing out toxins that can build up.
- Kidney function is improved with water.
- Water cleanses the colon which allows for greater absorption of nutrients. (Life Source Water, 2021).
Boost the benefits of water with lemon and honey by infusing these elements into your water. This helps promote extra hydration, immunity and flavour! Need we say more? Do your body a favour and include a glass of water in your morning routine. Your body won't regret it!
Written by Shaye Milford
Our Wellness Hub is a place to find wellness and mental health resources, yoga studios, meditation leaders and practitioners. We will continue to update these resources for you as we find the best to help you find your own unique way to Sleep Deep and Sleep Well. Sign Up Here
- Baillie, L. (2021). The benefits of drinking water for joint pain. [online]. avogel.co.uk. View Full Post [Accessed 11 February 2021].
- Khona, M. (2020). 10 Benefits Of Water For Great Skin + How Much Should You Drink Per Day? [online]. skincraft.com. View Full Post [Accessed 17 February 2021].
- Life Source Water. (2021). 5 Benefits to drinking water first thing in the morning. [online]. lifesourcewater.com. View Full Post [Accessed 17 February 2021].
- Zelman, K., M. (2019). 10 Ways to Boost Your Metabolism. [online]. webmd.com. View Full Post [Accessed 11 February 2021].